Do the numbers in a pen-and-paper game mean anything? A character can get stabbed and take a shotgun blast to the face, sleep it off, and be fine the next morning. If that is the game you are selling me, I am better off in World of Warcraft. If injury math means nothing, the danger the DM can present is meaningless. Even death can be negotiated with.
A second point lies in games that forgot what the numbers mean. The Cypher System invented a wound track in the new edition because players could not tell the difference between spending 2 pool points to dodge a bullet and standing there getting shot. That is the difference between dropping from exhaustion and dying from blood loss when the pools empty. A GM Intrusion can be tied to a bullet wound. The original game’s narrative moment meant something. The revision flattened two kinds of loss into one bar to appeal to the video game audience.
Even Palladium saw the weakness of a single hit-point pool in the 1980s. It split the old bar in two. SDC is the free pool: luck, scratches, bruises, skin-of-the-teeth. It comes back fast. Hit points are what happens after that pool is gone - grave injury, slow to heal, the road to death. 5E copied the SDC half and forgot to include the hit-point part. Its whole bar is SDC. Morning resets it. Nothing on the sheet still has a hole in it after a sword impales your character. That is why 5E looks like a weak copy of Palladium Fantasy.
If a system is just a slower video game, or I need a half-video-game VTT to run it, I lose interest. If the game forgot what the numbers meant, I am not on board anymore. If the danger is minimized to dying in World of Warcraft and respawning in the graveyard, what am I doing? A monthly subscription already gives me that twenty-four hours a day. I do not need to beg for a weekly game.
When MMOs start shipping AI DMs and NPCs, the players who came to paper for the math-rush and a narrative railroad will walk. The number-gaming crowd will have a better client.
No comments:
Post a Comment