Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Solo, and Still Surprised

I play Dungeon Crawl Classics solo, and it is an amazing game. It has just enough crunch, table-induced madness, and randomness to make me happy, and the emergent play that randomness creates keeps it from becoming a boring exercise in running something solo, going through the motions, and never being surprised.

That last part is the whole argument. Solo play dies when you already know what the next ten minutes will feel like. You open the binder, push the party down the hall, narrate the obvious success, and mark the box. DCC refuses to let the box stay marked. A Mighty Deed is not a feat paragraph you pre-solved at chargen. A wizard does not fire a known payload. Occupations hand you a weaver and a pair of scissors and call it a character. Luck sits on the sheet like a second Judge. The tables are not garnish. They are how the game talks back.

I do not need the book to be thin for that to work. The core is a fat book. A lot of those pages are results: crits, fumbles, mercurial magic, corruption, disapproval, patrons, the long weird tail of a spell that actually happens. That is a different kind of page than a catalog of who you get to be. I am not flipping six volumes to see whether this subclass interaction still functions. I am rolling to find out what the universe just did to a peasant who was a gong farmer yesterday.

Solo makes that louder. There is no table to perform for and no Judge to paper over a dull room. If the system is only a resolution engine, you will feel yourself acting both parts and get bored. DCC was already halfway to an oracle. The funnel is the cleanest version of the trick. You do not design a protagonist. You generate a village, you walk them into a hole, and the campaign is whoever crawls out. The deaths are plot. The survivors are premise. I do not have to protect a precious concept I spent a Sunday building. The dice already spent that Sunday without me.

A sixteen-peasant funnel looks like bookkeeping. In practice it collapses. You do not need a novel for every name. You need a line: occupation, the one stat that matters, hit points, what they are holding. When the herd thins, the game gets quieter and stranger, which is the opposite of most solo loops, where the sheet only ever gets louder. If the mob is too much on a given night, the culture around the game already knows how to shrink it. The point is not the headcount. The point is that the first level you play is a level you did not choose.

I have two and a half shelves of Dungeon Crawl Classics, and I do not feel shelf-obese. Most of that wood is adventures, megadungeons, and places. When the game puts on a different jacket — XCrawl, Mutant Crawl Classics — it is still one book talking. Some of the games live in zines that riff the main rulebook instead of replacing it. StarCrawl does not ask me to learn a second language. Some of the spines are settings. Some are art books and odd covers. The dice sit in clear boxes because looking at them is part of owning them. That shelf is not a problem I have to solve. It is the hobby, visible.

A hobby shelf is a map. A rules shelf is a filing cabinet. DCC keeps stacking rooms onto one conversation. The book on the table is still the game. The rest is more dungeon, more weather, more Appendix N texture. That is why the physical pile does not argue with the solo night. I am not maintaining a rules stack so the next session can resolve an edge case. I am surrounding an engine that still generates pressure.

It is not a complete solo product out of the box, and pretending otherwise would turn this into a review with a shopping list. Modules assume a Judge who can smell stalling. Spell tables want flipping, or a companion app, or patience. A lone wizard at level two is a different animal than a funnel mob. When the book shrugs I ask a cheap yes or no, I spend luck, I let two stray lines from some dog-eared fantasy paperback color the room. The game does not vanish if I do that. It was built to be interrupted by results.

What DCC thinks a character is: a person the tables have not finished with. Occupation before class. Luck as a resource and a tell. Magic as a negotiation you can lose. A first level that had to be earned by not dying in someone else’s story. That is why playing one of them alone still feels like discovery. The pages describe what the dice just did to you. They do not spend themselves describing you in advance.

I can admire the shelf and then take one book to the table and still be surprised. That is the hobby I actually wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment