I still remember the quiet when the referee said save.
Not a death save. That language wasn’t in the room yet. It was just a save, and everyone knew the empty space after it meant needle or gaze or something in a chest that did not care how long you had been walking around in the character. One number. You watched the die, and if it came up wrong, you were already reaching for a fresh sheet instead of a spell slot.
I am not dressing those nights up, and a lot of them were clumsy. The dungeon was the ordinary kind of unfair: too many doors, a pit with no speech attached, a monster that had not been told what level you were, and you brought extra character sheets because a room was allowed to finish someone. Save-or-die was only the blunt version of that. The book was not going to catch you.
Now I open a current-day adventure, and I can feel the courtesy before the first boxed text. The basilisk is still a basilisk; only petrified is a problem with a clock on it, and poison is damage plus a condition you can spend the next ten minutes fixing. The old fear is still sitting in the names, but the write-up has already decided the session should continue. Three failures, a word from across the map, a revival that costs less than the dinner you bought on the way over, and nobody is shoveling dirt on the character sheet.
The modules are built the same way. The numbers have been sliced so the party is supposed to walk out, the rest sits where you would expect to catch your breath, and the boss has enough hit points to feel like work without enough permission to actually end the night. “Balanced so you win” is treated as good manners, and I understand the manners, because nobody drove across town to watch a paladin become a garden decoration in the second room. I still notice that the fear left with the old save.
Video games stopped pretending about this a long time ago. Story mode, the painted line on the floor, a prompt you can skip if your hands are tired. You paid for the ending, so the ending stays available. Tabletop kept the dice and borrowed the courtesy. You still pick up the d20. The dungeon just isn’t supposed to mean it.
I still play this way. I like knowing the next page is waiting. I miss that second before the save, when the adventure module might actually kill your character. Lethal dungeons were not a philosophy. They were just rooms nobody had already sized for a listed level.
These days I look at a monster stat block or room description, and I can already see how the party leaves. That used to not be so certain.
No comments:
Post a Comment