Sunday, September 6, 2026

One Book on the Table

I did not feel like sorting the collection today.

That is usually how these weekends start. I walk past the shelves, think about pulling three books “just in case,” and then I am an hour in before anyone has a character. I have been there with 5E. I have been there with DCC, when the zines and modules piled up so high I didn't even have room for the dice. I still like all of that stuff. I just do not always want to negotiate with it on a Sunday.

What I wanted today was one book that would stay out and do the whole job.

I get why people drift toward those one-book games. Dragonslayer was the example I used last year, but it is the same feeling with a lot of the older cores. You can make someone in a few minutes, put them in a place that already has a problem, and if they don't make it, the next one doesn't take the rest of the afternoon. The big libraries are still here. Pathfinder 1e was the last one that really worked as a library for me. The 5E cousins are either in storage, on a drive, or down to the one version I still enjoy sitting with. GURPS never left. Palladium is coming back out in pieces because I missed having it in the room. DCC takes a wall now, and I am fine with that wall because most of it is places to go, not a second Player’s Handbook I have to flip through before we start.

None of that needed a decision today.

Today I left one complete game on the table and used it. Character, fight, magic, implied world, all in the same spine. I did not rebuild anything. I did not compare two versions of the same class. I did not open a VTT because the sheet was being difficult. I made a person, gave them a door, and wrote a few lines when we stopped.

I still buy the rest. I still like the rest. I just do not owe the rest every free afternoon. When a game gets larger than I can use in one sitting, I stop playing it for a while, even if I love it. That is not a review of the hobby. That is just how my table works.

The other books can wait on the shelf. They are not going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment