Saturday, September 12, 2026

Mail Room: Gate Pass Gazetteer 2025 (A5E)

Level Up A5E is the last 5E version I have on my display shelves.

The annual showed up in the mail, and I had to find a gap on the A5E shelf for it. There is a gap. That is part of why the shelf is still there.

Level Up is the last 5E I keep on display. Not the last 5E I own. The last one that gets to sit with the games I actually look at when I walk past. Gate Pass Gazetteer 2025 goes up with the official books, the ones written for this framework, the other yearly bricks. Everything else that used to lean on “it’s compatible” is in a closet. I stopped supporting that pile. It was too much. You can feel a game go sloppy when the characters feel like they come from different universes and the books get lost in a crowd.

This was the first 5E that worked for me in a way that still felt like a challenge. The numbers sat still. Hits meant something. Dying is not a coffee break. They kept bits from 3rd and 4th that I liked, and they left the danger in. They rewrote the SRD from the ground up so they did not have to live on the OGL, which at the time felt like homework and later felt like the reason the game could stay itself. Fighters had a job. That part still matters when I pull the book.

It is a niche version of 5E. I don’t need this to be a popular game. At this point, it doesn’t matter. Support is thin, and I have stopped feeling that was a problem. What they did print is solid throughout, and there is not so much of it that I need a second set of rules for what belongs on the table. Official sources only, and I have more than a campaign. Exploration that can actually go wrong in the woods. Social classes that do something besides talk while the martial character holds a weapon and waits. Martial classes that spend exertion on a tradition the way a wizard spends slots.

Those jobs are in the books. I do not have to handwave them into existence, or spend more on crowdfunding books to fix a version of 5E that will never be fixed.

The Gazetteer is the right kind of new spine for a shelf like that. A year of the magazine in one hardcover. More heritages, more archetypes, a couple of prestige classes, two combat traditions, challenges, junk items, a pile of monsters. It feeds the same game. It does not ask me to invent a second 5E, so the first one looks supported. I already know what that looks like. It is behind a door.

I am not making a case that A5E should have been bigger. I am looking at a lean official shelf that still covers the night, putting this year’s book in the space I have left, and leaving the closet shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment