Thursday, June 13, 2024

14mm d6 Dice

I like the 14mm d6 dice.

Standard dice are 16mm; either the boxy board-game style or the rounded Chessex-style ones (12 to a case) are familiar.

Then there are the tiny 12mm dice, typically sold in blocks of 36. These are small for gaming but great for games that require you to roll handfuls of six-sided dice, like Tunnels & Trolls.

Then, there are these mid-sized 14mm d6 dice. These highly playable, perfectly sized, light, but still readable dice make me want to play 2d6 games. The giant dice are so heavy they can disturb cardstock counters or cardboard pawns, while the lighter dice don't feel like they are large enough to feel like a meaningful 2d6 roll.

The 14mm dice, with their unique appeal, make me want to play. I am still determining what this is and where this feeling comes from, but the mid-sized dice have a special place in my gaming experience.

I don't get this with the 12mm dice; they are a bit on the small side and can be easily misplaced. On the other hand, the 16 mm is a bit large and can be cumbersome to handle.

But these have the right feeling and size to make me want to roll them.

No comments:

Post a Comment