I planned to put this in boxes and sell it until I learned I could solo-play it with AI.
That one thing changed everything for me. I could explore a universe, save my exploration to files so I could return to it, land anywhere on any planet, and have it read the UWP to generate an infinite world. The game is simple enough that any AI can make out a UPP and skills. The rest is up to me.
At least I am not using AI for art, I guess, but as my referee? Sure, let's go. Any planet, any subsector, and any place - infinite NPCs, adventures, and locations? I get it- no "AI DMs in D&D," but for something I pay for, for personal use? Sure, why not. Otherwise, these books are out the door. It is too big a game and a universe for me to explore, or even create content in my head for.
Yes, it does feel like giving up.
But I have never seen this universe this way, nor used my books in this way. Every one of them can be used. I did not waste the money collecting. Honestly, this is the first time this has happened to me with a 'collectors' game, seeing AI transform it into something playable. I limit the books, use it only to referee, and feed in information on characters and locations. It does the rest: it tracks the campaign, generates the missions and NPCs, creates locations, and I play.
As the models get better, VTTs may die off in favor of AI. I can only imagine an AI running a massively multiplayer universe using a pen-and-paper game and mutlliple DMs running in parallel, 24-7. The AI can handle maps and positioning. The AI will let you know if other players are nearby and what is going on with them. You will get notifications to connect your PCs and groups. The AI will create the character and storyboard art, or even live 3D models.
The VTT will be dead in the next few years.
The MMO will follow shortly after.
The concept of what a roleplaying game is will change in the next few years.
Yes, AI sucks.
But seeing this makes it feel inevitable.
No comments:
Post a Comment