Sunday, October 23, 2022

Mail Room: Savage Worlds Super Powers Companion

I finally got my Kickstarter Savage Worlds Super Powers Companion in the mail, and it is a good set. Granted, you can do superheroes with the core Savage Worlds game book, but this is more of a "more" book, and it gives you a lot of tools and pregens to make running a superheroes game a little easier.

The Horror Companion is next, and I await word of the two other projects I backed: the Fantasy Companion and the second Savage Pathfinder set for Curse of the Crimson Throne. I am really looking forward to the Fantasy set since I was running a generic fantasy game with the old Fantasy Companion, and it worked very well.

The Horror Companion Kickstarter is live and in the sidebar.

If you want rules-moderate and pulp-feeling superhero action, this is the system to run. I say rules moderate since you have to put your brain into "Savage Worlds mode" when you play any of these games. Once you do, everything clicks and makes a lot of sense. Savage Worlds is the only game I have experienced this with since it has its own "reality model" of how the world and system work.

I like the Savage Pathfinder set, and that is also a good set of rules for anything Pathfinder 1e - back when the game was in its edgy and cool alternative phase. I have fallen off the Pathfinder 2e wagon again and boxed that game up - there are too many rules, too much steampunk, and the art feels reserved and unexciting. My Pathfinder 1e days will be what the world and the game mean to me forever since the game was still a fantasy game, and it wasn't afraid to appeal to its mature fantasy reader target audience.

My only issue with Savage Pathfinder is converting. I feel Castles & Crusades delivers a better overall fantasy experience with fewer rules, fewer conversions, better compatibility, and more classic flavor. For "fantasy superheroes" - where the whole post-4E fantasy roleplaying genre is these days, Savage Worlds nails the feeling and tone without the complexity.

Yes, the fantasy genre is split these days. You either play classic fantasy (AD&D and B/X), or you play fantasy superheroes (5E or Pathfinder 2e). People call them all the same genre, and disagreements start. Know what you like, and play what you love.

The Savage Worlds team is firing on all cylinders and making great games and sets. Hats off to this incredible team that gets things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment