Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Necrotic Gnome, OGL Statement

https://necroticgnome.com/blogs/news/an-update-on-old-school-essentials-and-the-ogl

Necrotic Gnome, the excellent Old School Essentials creator, has posted about OSE, the future, and how they are moving away from the OGL. This was posted last year, but I came by it again, and it brought up thoughts a year later.

The hurt and fear are still there more than a year after that disaster. Now you can see why I am selling all my Wizards books and going hard into Open 5E. I walk in both worlds, as do many old-timers, especially experienced DMs. When this started, D&D already had a DM shortage, and burning the bridges of the veteran DMs who "make your game work" is a colossal disaster few talk about.

Can I play D&D with good conscious hearing this news? No. There must be a leadership change at the top and going down. Anyone involved must go. Steps must be taken to make the OGL 1.0a permanent. Then, I may give D&D another chance, which is a fair position.

Holding people to an ethical standard for your business is not wrong. And it is your choice. Don't let people on social media make it for you; you could be talking to a bot.

I will support Necrotic Gnome in whatever they do, and I am happy they are considering a future for OSE beyond the OGL. Swords & Wizardry did a CC version of their game, so it is possible.

For me, Open 5E will be here 30+ years from now. The books I have and love will not be replaced or "stealth edited" because we can't download a PDF. I own both. They are mine. Open 5E allows them to continue to be mine forever.

Sad news, but hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment