Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Cepheus Universal vs. Deluxe

Okay, color me slightly confused. There are two Cepheus games out there now. Cepheus Universal by Zoser Games, creators of Hostile and Modern Warfare. This is a new 400+ page book that Cepheus-izes the rules found in Modern Warfare and Hostile and presents it as a generic 2d6 sci-fi game.

This massive book covers every subject you can imagine in a sci-fi game, along with a lot of referee's advice. It cuts closer to the original 2d6 sci-fi game but keeps things on a more realistic and grounded scale. There are also plenty of excellent design systems here for all sorts of things, aliens, vehicles, capital ships, animals, and so much more.

The weapons and equipment lists are expansive. You get a lot of stuff here! The art here is also excellent. We get some absolute stunners and inspirational pieces. This sets the standard for indie 2d6 sci-fi gaming. The book is fun just to flip through and read, and every piece of art is a standout.

The book comes in a PDF now, with a tan and white background version in the download. If I bought a hardcover, I would go for the classic white background - if they offer one.

Universal uses a 6+ ability score roll and an 8+ skill roll as the base.

The other is Cepheus Deluxe, by Stellagama Publishing, which also makes Sword of Cepheus, a 2d6 fantasy game. This is the original I fell in love with, and this version has a trait system (like feats) that allows you to improve your characters with unique abilities. This is a short, more compact, 200+ page book. The art is okay at best, with a few standout pieces.

While smaller, the game is tighter and feels very beer-and-pretzels to me. The gear lists aren't as extensive, and there isn't as much stuff, but when I am developing my own setting and want to do most of the work myself, this book gives me the minimum and gives me room to develop the rest.

This version also has a more generous character development system, but you could always use this improvement and trait system with either game. I really love the trait system here, and I like the more generous and gamified advancement.

Deluxe has the better cargo and trading rules (a 12-page chapter versus Universal's half-page of rules). Again, if you like this system better, it can be used with either game with no effort. Do not discount Deluxe because it is not as slick or big; the designers knew the best parts of 2d6 sci-fi and went into depth where needed. Universal tends to be "more is more" and Deluxe is "tightly focused on fun parts."

If I were using this game to power a Car Wars RPG (which we did in 1980 with another 2d6 game), I would use Cepheus Deluxe since it is more of a simple framework, shorter, and easier to mod. If I want a complete, standalone 2d6 sci-fi game, I will go Universal (with Deluxe traits & advancement, trading, and other parts I prefer). Deluxe is a more straightforward game with a tighter core engine. There aren't as many design systems and charts here, and it is a better starting off point for heavily modded games.

Deluxe uses a flat 8+ roll for both skill and ability checks.

Deluxe offers a full-color hardcover book (which I do not like at all, my eyes!) and a more classic black-and-white version - which I love and is a pleasure to read.

Both books are great and worth indie 2d6 gaming options. Most of everything in either game works with the other too, so you are not wasting money if you have both. Part of me likes Universal since it is more comprehensive, beautiful, and covers everything. Another part of me likes Deluxe for its basic, no-frills, solid, core design in a smaller package.

Both do what Traveller doesn't - give you a 2d6 sci-fi framework for DIY sci-fi gaming. Modern Traveller leans hard into the Imperium setting, which is both good and bad. I have the new Traveller books, and I can't separate that game from the setting, which limits my ability to hex-crawl sector explore and explore strange new worlds.

There are times when I want the 2d6 sci-fi, but I don't want the weight of such a heavy, lore-complete setting that I have to wade through to make sense of. For quick, beer-and-pretzels sci-fi where you are rolling dice and creating new sectors on the fly, Cepheus has you covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment