Friday, April 22, 2022

Pathfinder 1e: Discovery and Solo Play

One of the things I absolutely love about using Hero Lab with Pathfinder 1e is all the options I have at my fingertips. I will be creating a character and notice a possible new synergy between powers, feats, and skills and say, "This character would make a good horse trainer." And boom, all of a sudden I have an interesting NPC with full stats and powers, and I can build them into a unique role for my world.

I don't get that in B/X, and this is also something I saw in Ninjas & Superspies. When I get a meaty and substantial character design system, I can make it sing. I end up loving the characters I build. It makes me want to play the game on an entirely different level. I love the simplicity and freedom of B/X systems, but when I find myself solo playing, I want a single character with extreme depth and rules support.

To me, my level 1 cleric in Pathfinder 1e is ten times more fascinating to play solo than a level 1 cleric in a B/X system. The challenges she faces are better covered by skills and powers, and she can build as she levels in order to better face them. In B/X I get a few hit points and a few more spells, some gold, maybe a better attack bonus. I feel B/X is a better system for group play, simple and accessible by all, fast and it frees players up to roleplay and be creative without rules shackles.

Complexity? Yes, Pathfinder 1e has an extreme depth of combat rules. But there are times I can handwave and simplify if none of it matters, and throttle down to a B/X style system. I am solo playing, the rules matter when I choose them to. But I have the option to scale up in complexity if I want crunch, with B/X I do not.

For solo play, I crave depth. I love character building. The more options the better. I want to get in there and fiddle. I want advantages, disadvantages, feats, and choices to make as I level. The amount of gold I get is not my entire character power, my choices matter - given the challenges I choose or don't choose to face.

Oddly enough, I find myself experimenting with GURPS again for the same reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment