Monday, January 16, 2023

Pathfinder 1e: Still a Classic

Very little gets close to the original 3.5-like Pathfinder game. Castles & Crusades is a fantastic game, but I have less history with it than Pathfinder 1e. Even Pathfinder 2e, which I know is the hot sauce right now, appeals to me less than this classic. Even with the incredible class options and combinations that 2e has and the very tight and balanced rules all the way up to maximum level.

I know all that. Someday I will likely hop on board.

Pathfinder 1e has a lot of flaws, but the sheer amount of expansions and material for the game, both official and third-party, blows me away. The game plays like a 3.5-era game, so I do not need to learn anything. Once you know the system, you see the cheese, so it is easy enough "not to do" when you play solo.

And I have a library of books, three shelves with more than I could ever imagine using. I have all my options with Hero Lab, and building characters is a snap.

I hope Paizo revisits Pathfinder 1e and keeps all the hardcovers in print under their new license (more than the pocket editions); even PoD would be great. Game preservation in this era is too vital for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment