Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Pathfinder 1e: Book of the Damned

There were some cool books back in the Pathfinder 1e days. The one thing I loved about the original Paizo creative team is they were not afraid to take on edgy and dark topics. We had some great books exploring evil, and the options and powers were there if you wanted to use them for enemies or play horror campaigns and have players slowly descending into madness and ending up with powers of the wicked and vile.

I hope the Pathfinder 2e team finds their stride and makes a few books exploring the darker side without fearing they would offend anyone. I am not going to be offended! This is like turning on a horror movie; I know what I am getting into when I press the remote. This is one of my feelings about Pathfinder 2e; it is a great game with better rules, but it needs to speak to myself and the types of games I play. The battles between good and evil. The downfall of pride and envy and the slow loss of humanity when one gives in to temptations.

The contrast between good and evil characters was really fantastic in 1e. Good was good and evil was evil.

It is early, and I understand the need to appeal to a broad audience. But given they stand behind and publish the above book, I want to see what the team can do with the darker side - and be unafraid to tackle the subject. I want the design team at Paizo to be a little more sure of themselves and their audience and start building books that speak to everyone - a little less safe and unafraid to cause a little discomfort. We need evil shown so we can fight it and, ultimately, learn more about ourselves and the failings of humanity.

If there is one thing that keeps me playing Pathfinder 1e, it is this lack of fear of tackling tough subjects and showing evil in the full light of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment