Sunday, August 6, 2023

A5E Characters vs. 5E Characters

This is almost a no-contest comparison. This isn't even fair.

I created a few 5E characters (using Hero Builder), and then I recreated those same characters in A5E. With every character I created, the original 5E characters seemed almost too simple, like B/X characters, compared to 3.5E characters. Now, I like both B/X and 3.5E, but when a game goes out of its way to give me a beefy character design system that links my character to a world's culture, gives them history, and makes them a part of the setting's factions - I take notice and listen.

My A5E characters feel connected with the world and much more capable at everything.

My 5E characters feel like character names with combat stats.

Not even Tales of the Valiant (Alpha) does this. I love this game too, but even ToV seems like an AD&D to the level of detail and customization A5E offers. My A5E characters have twice the unique features that ToV characters do - in some cases, the same combo of heritage and background ends up with 4 features in ToV, and 8 in A5E. ToV needs to double the features they give you just to compete (but I am sure it will be a tremendous 5E replacement game with Kobold Press' excellent support).

In A5E, I am getting social features, exploration features, combat features, and cool toys to play with.

My 5E characters pale in comparison to either, and they feel like "generic combat playing pieces" compared to both ToV and A5E - but A5E takes the cake on building the three old-school pillars of play into the game and supporting them with both rules and character options backed into character creation.

My ranger in 5E? Mostly a combat guy with very few "ranger things" to do. He feels like a "weak fighter" with a few boilerplate nature abilities that rarely get used.

My A5E ranger? Much more remarkable, and he gets to pick Exploration Knacks that let him pull off all sorts of cool tricks during the exploration game. My guy can build a shelter concealed from enemies and as restful as a room at an inn. He can also forage daily for 5 people (if you like eating bugs and plants). He could have picked huntsman or could travel long distances without getting fatigued. There are a lot of picks here, and my ranger is a Bear Grylls in A5E compared to the 5E ranger, which seems like a tourist with a full shopping cart at Bass Pro Shop.

And my A5E ranger at level 2 gets combat maneuvers and can pick two and have a pool of 4 exertion points (regained on short or long rests). He could get a double shot, and a point-blank shot (both use a bonus action). The incredible resource-based "fighting moves" that 4E martial characters had? They are back, baby! Even my bard has them. Why do casters have all the fun choices? Oh, and I can pick ranged or melee-focused styles; there are a bunch to choose from, which allows many types of rangers to be created.

My 5E ranger at level 2 gets a "fighting style," primarily a static bonus.

This is the difference between a Rambo and a paintball warrior.

New edition, same mistakes - are what we want to avoid regarding new 5E games and backward compatibility.

My A5E characters took a little time to build, with me making meaningful choices along the way. The bonuses and abilities here remind me a little of Palladium Fantasy characters (another fantastic game), and you get the feeling, "If the rules give me abilities, I want to play and use them." There is such a thing as a character design system that uses complexity to increase player attachment, and A5E has this in spades - even over the already excellent ToV.

Another thing, my A5E characters have built-in connections to the world. They do not feel like they were "dropped in from space" like a 5E character can be; you are making choices and building connections to the setting during character creation. You could be a "guard from a town on the map" and get called back to the town if there is trouble. You can be a loner. A member of a guild. Someone from a circus. If I were running this for friends, the campaign map is a must-have for character creation, and players can point to places and ask to be a part of that area.

This has all the fun of Pathfinder 2 character creation without the character sheet that looks like a tax form. I love you, Pathfinder 2, but please do better regarding simplification and the new player experience. And you don't have to change to a new system to get it either, so if you like the 5E rules but want better character design, both ToV and A5E have you covered, with A5E being the more in-depth option.

My set of 5E characters was simple to create.

My A5E characters are the ones I want to play with.

Hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment