Saturday, June 18, 2022

Pathfinder 2 Solo Play

This is a game I really want to love, but I struggle with it. It feels like there is way too much to remember, way too many modifiers to track, way too many tags to keep track of and apply (at times in chains), and my brain says, "This is how you program a video game, please give me that."

And I do not struggle with Pathfinder 1e, GURPS, or even games like Champions or Aftermath. I like deep, complicated games where a lot needs to happen in my head at once. Many of those games are straightforward, where you are worrying about straight damage, and tags and additional effects are relatively rare. When you get higher level in Pathfinder 1e, you get into those other addon effects, but the lower level game feels very much like B/X and is computationally simple.

I do not want to remember and apply that many effects and tags for a party of four that I am running solo. I can't do it. I will miss half, spend 50% of the time flipping through a book, and never feel I am playing it well enough for all those rules to matter. It feels like buying a software package so complicated you never spend the time learning to use it because your mind just can't.

The character builds in Pathfinder 2 are these giant choice trees, and I just want a simple point-buy design system. Yes, the choices are simplified as you level. You are making a few choices, but I have a specific character in mind, and I find myself predesigning something to make sure I get what I want at a higher level. I am finding myself limited by these "scripted" class leveling systems even in Starfinder, where I want my space mechanic to change focus for a little while, and I feel he really can't because he will miss out on a few powers later on, or the character bloat would increase substantially if I am multiclassing.

I get in a system like Savage Worlds, GURPS, Champions, or other games that give you points to buy the character ability you want when you level, and I feel right at home. I want to increase my combat or piloting skills for a while; go ahead.

I still have the feeling this game is better with others. When you have 4 people around the table, each heavily invested in their class and knows their powers and abilities, I bet things run like a well-oiled machine. When the group learns the game together, and the referee can focus on managing the chaos and story instead of running characters, I bet things run great. The party synergies and action economy make this game awesome. The class choices as you level keep characters balanced without too much referee review. It all works great, and it feels designed for groups.

Some games work better than multiplayer games, which is where I feel Pathfinder 2 lands.

This is way too much for solo play and feels like standing in an empty World of Warcraft server. Sure, you can play a class and get some progression, and maybe you can get a few quest lines done, but ultimately you will never enjoy everything the game has to offer alone.

I am keeping my library and subscriptions up, I still believe in the game and company. It is just a hard choice unless I put some serious time into learning and working through all the concepts, which I don't have right now. I am probably moving to a simpler game for my Pathfinder experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment