Monday, March 28, 2022

Mail Room: Heroes Unlimited

Don't be the game master who promises your group a superhero game, picks Heroes Unlimited, has everyone create superheroes...

...and then send them all into Rifts.

I have heard this happening more than a few times; like somehow the non-Rifts Palladium RPGs are "gateway games" to get people into a Rifts campaign. Yeah, we started in Dead Reign, but...

Stop.

You made a promise to this group to play THIS game. Do not pull a fast one on your friends! They want to be the X-Men, not run around as Rifts characters.

It makes me happy I have banned Rifts from my Palladium-verse for the time being, and I am considering and playing these games by themselves without using them as "starting zones" for the eventual Rifts game everything ends up as. These are fun games and they deserve to be played on their own, in their own universe, and given their own moment to shine without the Rifts Cinematic Universe showing up and turning this into the one game to rule them all.

A parallel Palladium Universe where Rifts never happened.

And no, this parallel universe isn't going to eventually end up in Rifts.

How can that happen? Well, the superheroes of Heroes Unlimited stopped the plot a long time ago and Rifts never happened in this universe. The demons are pretty angry they can't ride MDC motorcycles, but hey, whatever. Anything that used to be linked to Rifts - but does not come from the world -  goes back to the closest aligned universe as SDC entities. The gods in Pantheons of the Megaverse? Back in Palladium Fantasy. Some of the other strange alien intelligence monsters? Probably in Beyond the Supernatural or Nightbane. Some things ended up in After the Bomb, others in Dead Reign.

I am happy with my SDC Cinematic Universe (SDC-CU) and it will stay the way it is.

Whenever I played Rifts it wasn't "that" connected and I tended to treat outsiders as special NPCs instead of the norm. I liked those who came from the world and gave them the spotlight, and the game felt more grounded and real.

I had the original game and this is my first time with the revision. I am looking forward to exploring this and playing with it as a part of my SDC-CU. I am going to set these games in the era I want them to be set in, and not all of them will be the current day. With Heroes Unlimited, I would love to set my game in the '90s with those Jim Lee-style heroes and X-Men attitudes. The Ninjas and Superspies game needs to be in the Chuck Norris, Rambo, Schwarzenegger, and action-movie 1980s (plus the technology is right). Beyond the Supernatural is the early 2000s. Dead Reign is the 2010s. Nightbane feels like the 1990s. Basically, the publication date of the game is when I am setting them.

Looking forward to this one, and no, I am not doing any copyrighted characters from Marvel or DC in this universe. I am happy to randomly generate them all and let the chips fall where they may. I am done with a lot of those trademarked characters anyway and want to move on with my own creativity.

More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment