Thursday, December 8, 2022

Under Monetized

Hasbro on D&D...

"The brand is really under-monetized."

https://youtu.be/bXiYc7bxlYE?t=3384

This should tell you everything.

The "brand" that is under-monetized is that credit card sitting in your wallet or purse.

Honestly, I can buy (or get for free) one OSR game and have years of adventures.

I do not need a constant digital content stream to play a tabletop game, nor do I need to pay a Wall Street company a monthly fee to enjoy roleplaying. Nor do I need to please other people on social media, listen to YouTube hype channels, and feel I am being "left out" because I do not spend enough money on a hobby.

As much money Magic and Warhammer fans pay monthly to participate in their hobbies, I feel all the One D&D players will be expected to pay. I feel everything will be a paid portal, and the game's design will force you to use their tools. I doubt there won't be many great "free" ways to play, or indie VTTs to use.

It is a trap.

I would rather be under-monetized and left out because I will have money to enjoy life with and save for the future.

And it isn't a bad thing to be left out of something I feel is predatory.

Alternatives, even OSR 5E, exist and are often better choices than the game that inspired them.

No comments:

Post a Comment