Sunday, December 25, 2022

The One D&D Mess

The above video is a calm, sane view of what is happening around One D&D and the (not so) OGL 1.1.

The anger around this issue is insane, so it is nice to see a logical discussion of what is going on and what we know. The title is clickbaity, YouTube is YouTube, but the video inside is excellent.

My feelings? I do not like where this is going.

I am ready to support Paizo 100% for "big box" fantasy gaming. They use open standards, anyone can publish and earn a living, and the workers there are unionized. I feel the OGL 1.1 is Wall Street's version of an "open" gaming license, and I feel it is not even worth considering or supporting in its current form. What happens when the badge program and registration website are retired? Does everyone have to pull their OGL 1.1 products and videos?

And the OSR is a superior publishing model and license, and all my OSR games will be free to play and publish, and it is just a model that supports the small creators much better. This feels like 4E and the GSL all over again. The pressure on YouTube D&D creators to fall in line will be huge, and their livelihoods depend on this all working out, and I feel sorry for both creators of 5E material and those who get income for covering the game on YouTube.

My feelings? Stick with old "open" 5E or a 5E clone, or better yet, go OSR, or play Pathfinder 1 or 2.

The sooner you tell yourself you aren't looking back at self-inflicted corporate drama, the happier you will be. Even if this does work out, you will have saved yourself endless worry and arguments and have more time to play something with a free and open license.

This is why free and open standards matter.

Every dollar spent in a closed system ends in disappointment, no matter how "free" they make it when it starts. Once you are locked in, they get you for as much money as possible.

If all this upsets you, and it does me to a level because I grew up with this game, just walk away.

That is my best advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment