Thursday, July 16, 2015

Dragon Age RPG Preorder

This is one I am excited about. Green Ronin is releasing a combined book for their Dragon Age RPG this month, and it looks like a fun one. I like the crossover products from video games to the RPG world, since it is an inviting path for new players into the hobby, and it leverages an existing world and lore that many are immediately familiar with.

If you pre-order now, you get the PDF for $5, and that is a great deal for a full-color PDF and what looks like an incredible book. Best of both worlds, PDF and a hardcover, good stuff.

The mechanics of this game look super easy as well, a straight 3d6 roll (2 normal dice, one dragon die) and an addition/beat a number mechanic with special rules for doubles. Something not d20 for a change? Count me in.

And we get Youtube videos previewing play?


There is a sequel to this video as well, and it looks like a fun beer-and-pretzels RPG with simple "on the dice" mechanics. I know I shouldn't be this excited about a game, but it looks fun and the production values are out of the roof, on par or better than even 5th Edition D&D.

We live in an interesting time where non-d20 games are more and more compelling to me. I mean, we've been with 3rd Edition in one way or another for 15 years, D&D for over twice that, and the competing market is getting interesting. And yes, the retro-clones are always cool and go-to options. Mind you, this still isn't an open game with an OGL license, but if I am going to play and enjoy a closed-source system, it might as well offer something new and interesting to grab my attention.

I think this is as close as we are going to get to a Skyrim style dark fantasy pen-and-paper RPG, so I'm in.

Also, if you are interested, the Blue Rose Romantic Fantasy RPG 2.0 is in its last days of it's Kickstarter campaign. This game uses the same rules as the above Dragon Age RPG and there is only three days left to get in on the fun. I am a proud backer, because I like the concept of a relationship-based and less hack-and-slash game with interpersonal mechanics.

They both are the same system after all, and maybe the two worlds shall meet for a strange dark fantasy versus romance world? Sounds fun, I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment