Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Tales of the Valiant: Pocket Editions

When I got them, I thought they were a waste of money and that I would need to wear reading glasses. Even with my older eyes, I can still read them (a little slower, but not unreadable due to the font they used).

These have become my daily go-to for rule lookups, surpassing the 5E SRD and the Black Flag SRD. Their compact size allows them to sit on my table, ready to be grabbed like a paperback book. I can quickly flip to the rule I need, making my reference process quick and efficient. Regarding usability, the PDF on my computer is the most convenient, followed by the pocketbook, then the iPad PDF version (which can be a bit slow to navigate), and finally, the hardcover.

I am truly enamored with these hardcovers. I envision using these smaller books as versatile table references. Their value extends beyond desk use, as they also serve as quick and easy table references, making them an invaluable resource for any situation.

Level Up A5E and D&D have nothing close, and only Pathfinder 2 has something similar. However, that font is tiny for me. This is really the best pocket-sized 5E reference out there.

Surprisingly, these smaller books outshine even the iPad version. While the iPad is undeniably portable and my preferred choice for on-the-go, these little books are hard to beat regarding desk reference.

I am taken with ToV and feel a sense of freshness here. Kobold Press avoids controversy and does not make players angry. The game doesn't surprise players with new rules. It feels playable and "innocent," like the original B/X. Yes, it is in all respects "5E," but more importantly, it isn't D&D. With D&D, I get this feeling of sadness, even with the old versions, knowing what it became. I know, my games are my games, but it feels like trying to get excited about the original Matrix movie knowing how bad the sequels sucked.

ToV feels fresh; it is like "my game" to do what I want. Nobody tells me how to play it, not the game, anyone online, the mainstream, or the art or words in the books. The mainstreaming of AD&D 2nd Edition killed the game and TSR along with it, and stripped anything cool out of the game for fear of upsetting anyone.

Tales of the Valiant does not have the D&D baggage.

I can also mod the rules, like the promise of the original 2014 5E. The core books are just that, core books. I am glad they did not add too much; this lets the game be itself and open to modding, which it should be. A "community rules platform" like 5E should have been, with no one trying to roll it back or telling you the game is a social platform for identity marketing.

ToV is still innocent and fresh and reminds me of the days when D&D was still that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment