Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Mail Room: Esper Genesis Master Technician's Guide

What in the...?

I pre-ordered this about two years ago and gave up hope a year ago. Then, I forgot about it and felt I would never have the third hardcover for this very "Mass Effect"-inspired 5E sci-fi game.

And to my excitement, it's finally here.

I thought this was the A5E sci-fi book when I opened the box.

I like EG. It is a stand-alone 5E sci-fi game with plenty of space monsters, evil humanoid aliens, and high-tech action to fill an entire space gaming campaign. It feels like a 5E Mass Effect RPG and captures the no-magic sci-fi aesthetic nicely. There are "esper and cyber" powers to fill the mystical power gap, so this isn't a psi-only game like Traveller, where most characters are average humans without special glowing bolts coming out of their hands and eyes.

This is a happy surprise alongside a whole box-load of Traveller books I am engaged with.

I like this game and setting more than Starfinder since it isn't "fantasy in space." This game isn't as "trader and commerce" focused as Traveller, so if you want to earn credits running cargoes, this isn't your game. This is more of a "blast things with star powers in a space dungeon" sort of science-fantasy game.

Oh, and all the art here looks pre-AI, which is incredible. I have to love that pre-AI art. I experimented a few times with AI art but found it hollow and lacking in soul. As a result, I no longer use it here and see huge downsides (and potential ethical issues). The art here is consistent, looks fantastic, and blows my mind.

Damage relies on you making more attacks and your class abilities making the weapons more deadly, which is nice (and mirrors 5E's design). Starfinder's fault is its "leveled gear," where you can find a level 20 laser pistol and one-shot anything in sight. The whole system is too "console RPG" for me and feels like a video game.

Again, I am shocked this was in the mail today.

This game has a future, which makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment