Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Mail Room: Battlezoo Ancestries Dragons 5E

I initially dismissed the Roll for Combat books as not for me or a little too cute for my tastes.

I was wrong; these are very high-quality books. They also fit in any campaign type, especially the ancestries books. In fact, they are doing more to make 5E accessible to a younger audience than even Wizards, but these books can also be played seriously. They have unique, cute art - but they are what you make of them. I can see kids wanting to play a party of dragons, and this book lets that happen.

I am really impressed by their content, quality, and production - and these will make a fine addition to my Open 5E library. Of anything, they are highly creative and well-designed rule frameworks for a more comprehensive ancestry choice where you can level up and power up your dragon.

I like supporting these types of Open 5E books, things that aren't "bog standard" D&D with that human-elf-dragonborn axis of power. Many Wizards settings are "same-y" with the same collection of backgrounds doing the same thing against the same foes. Books like this force me to think outside of my box and dream of new things, other stories I can play, and not the thee-thou pseudo-Renaissance setting they present too many times before.

They expand the focus on 5E, which is a good thing. I am looking forward to the hardcover for this, and it looks exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment