Sunday, January 30, 2022

Mail Room: Star Trek Adventrures

I got this one on a whim, I like the options to play original TV series adventures and we will see how this goes. This is a 2d20 system game, and I think it is a "roll low" system - which should be interesting.

Star Wars has the action, but for me Star Trek always nailed the problem-solving and party-based play stronger. You are typically on a "mission" so you get that Paranoia-style objective and setup, and you are not as freelancing or reacting to a galactic war. It is easier to setup goals and objectives, and players typically need to use a little restraint when approaching problems in order to live up to the examples Starfleet wants them to be.

The game can have encounters, combat, and action, and from what I see in the PDF it looks like that action-style of play is supported and this is not completely cerebral play. So if you want shootouts and hand-to-hand, you can have it.

The game is set in the "Next Generation" timeline, but there looks to be support for the original series era. The modern film era is not present here, and there doesn't look to be any of the newer TV series either. So this is just "classic and next generation" style play, and admittedly those feel like the best eras with the greatest support and fandom. I would love to see an "original series" book that focuses more on that era, but I bet I could pick up a book on Amazon and have all the information I need to convert things in.

Overall and interesting looking game and I hope it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment