Friday, October 22, 2021

News: Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022

 


https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/us/traveller-core-rulebook-update-2022.html

Oddly enough, I say the words "I wish the Traveller core rulebook was reorganized like Old School Essentials" and I learn of this. From the above link:

Traveller is a science fiction roleplaying game of bold explorers and brave adventurers. The Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022 contains everything you need to create one of these adventures and begin exploring the galaxy.

Spaceports, ancient civilisations, air/rafts, cold steel blades, laser carbines, far distant worlds, and exotic alien beasts – this is the futuristic universe of Traveller, the original and classic science fiction roleplaying game.

Come visit the far future.

The Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022 has been fully revised for this edition and contains many tweaks and rules updates, as well as a brand new, highest quality interior format with lashings of top tier art to immerse you in the far future.

Now, this is still 2nd edition, so it DOES NOT invalidate your other books, which I feel is a good thing. They redid the organization, put in new art, and cleaned up the presentation.

Compelling?

I am on the fence. I don't play enough Traveller to justify it, honestly, and I have a 2nd edition rulebook. And there is Stars Without Number to play with too, and that is OSR, so I have tons already compatible with my other OSR games.

If I get bought into playing a 3rd Imperium setting, yes, I would get it. For generic sci-fi I would not. Then there is that question in your mind, if the game were easier to use, would you play it more?

Ouch.

Yes. The current 2nd Edition rulebook I have is not really the easiest thing to use. The confusing layout and hard-to-find rules is a reason I did not play this version more, and also a reason why I went looking for alternatives. Like Starfinder. Like Stars Without Number.

It is nice to see some love and care given to the game with the update, and I hope this is a huge improvement, since it would mean I would get something out of my investment in the other books in the 2nd edition line.

This is expected to release in January 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment