Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pathfinder vs. D&D Next

With the new edition of D&D coming out, I have a couple thoughts.

I wish D&D well, and I want them to succeed. I also wish Pathfinder a long and successful existence, and it is well on its way there. There is also a lot of noise about "D&D Next vs. Pathfinder!", and that's the silly stuff to be expected. I don't want to talk about any of that, what I want to explore is why I would want to play D&D Next and Pathfinder.

For me, it comes down to the IP, and I think that's what Wizards understands. This is the stuff Wizards calls "Product Identity" and this is all the non-OGL stuff like copyrighted monsters, the worlds, the gods, and the unique bits that only something from a licensed D&D can provide. Pathfinder has IP and Product Identity too with their world, adventure paths, monsters and other bits they keep out of the OGL play close to their chest.

It is very analogous to Disney buying Marvel, and they are doing a good job at shepherding the copyrighted superheroes and stories of the Marvel line in their movies. If Wizards does a good job presenting stories and worlds leveraging their IP, then great, color me interested.

Both games have all the OGL stuff, so that really isn't a factor in me deciding.

Both games have different levels of simplicity and complexity, and that is a choice of personal preference rather than "which is better?" Which is better is always a question for YOU, not everybody else, and I think this is where flame wars start. D&D Next is streamlined and simplified, Pathfinder has rich complex builds, and both are great reasons to play.

I like the Pathfinder philosophy of continuing the open and free market of ideas that the OGL and D&D 3.0 started. It allows me to buy non-Paizo world books, adventures, and rules expansions. I did not like D&D 4's GSL and I hope that does not continue. A "free to play" model I've heard of for Next is a step in the right direction, and I hope other companies are "free to play" in the D&D Next market.

It really comes down to entertainment. What is being presented and showcased is the Wizard's IP. Any negative factor is a distraction, like 4E's locked-in character builders, pay-to-access websites, GSL, constant rules errata, and changing nature of the game. The original IP in 4E was entertaining, and it still is in 5E. Those distractions in 4E made them harder to enjoy, like a stuttering film in the projector showing that Avengers movie. I hope they get these things in 5E, and it's fair to have an open mind and give them a chance.

Pathfinder's team comes from industry veterans, and they consciously try to limit the distractions between you and your game. It doesn't make them better, it makes them an example to live up to (in my feelings). I like this philosophy, they keep their world focused, they let others play in their market, and they do not make silly mistakes like pushing 'system lock in' or 'vendor exclusivity' or other silliness. They compete on consistency, quality, and entertainment value and do a damn good job. Kudos to them, and I hope they stay focused and continue.

But again, it's the Wizard's IP that matters. If they craft a compelling world with that IP, you can't get that anywhere else. If they water it down, lose focus, or start introducing silly stuff it loses its power and draw upon me. Think about World of Warcraft nowadays, if you go there expecting the classic "Orcs vs. Humans" Warcraft experience, you will be sorely disappointed with pandas, goblins, werewolves, and whatever running around and muddling things up. I want that classic D&D IP experience, and that is their strongest card to play.

The point comes up, do you need the Wizard's IP at all to have fun? You don't, and Pathfinder proves that in spades. This again is another personal choice, Marvel vs. DC - both superheroes, you can like either or both. But no, you don't need Faerun or a mind flayer to have fun. What matters is how the Wizards team treats the IP, presents it, and crafts a compelling experience to entertain the players. IP only matters as a vehicle and a "language" to the audience to deliver the entertainment experience.

To me, rules ultimately do not matter, they are just presentation and a personal choice. Distractions from any source make a big impact in enjoyment. Enjoyment also depends on personal preferences, some people like simplicity, others detail - action movies versus drama, both are great and enjoyable genres. New does not mean better or fun, new means a "fresh start".

But in the end, for me, entertainment is what matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment