Monday, October 31, 2016

Multi Color d20s!


These are really cool d20's. I got them off Amazon when I was looking for multicolored d6 dice, and saw these and immediately had to have them. Why? Well, just because they aren't slick and polished, and look exactly like something that would come with an old TSR boxed game in the 1980's.

I love my slick, marbled, fancy d20s, like the Gemini sets or the speckled ones, but these...these make me want to play something. It is rare a die does that for me, so I wanted to share that feeling. I don't know, maybe it is because these look so cartoony and cheap that I can imagine playing an old-school game with them and looking forward to rolling the die for some critical moment.

To be fair, the plastic is of very good quality, but the painting of the numbers at places is a bit rough. It sort of adds to their appeal, in my feeling, since that rough-cut feeling gets me in the mood for a less-polished game with quirks and inconsistencies, like the original Gamma World, old-school D&D, or perhaps a modern version of the classics such as Labyrinth Lord or Mutant Future.

I am sure you know the feeling, how certain dice can bring back a feeling. These do it for me, and I look forward to using them in something decidedly retro and old-school enough to do them justice.

Keep gaming and rolling those dice.

No comments:

Post a Comment