Friday, April 29, 2016

At Ease Games & Inner Sea Races


When we visited San Diego, we dropped by At Ease Games and checked the place out. This is an amazing store with a great staff and a gaming room that needs to be seen to be believed. Long tables for card gaming with gorgeous artwork. Huge round marble gaming tables and comfortable chairs and an invitation to come down to the store to play. This is a gaming paradise, and it is not to be missed.

The game selection was incredible, and we got lost in shelf after shelf of incredible games and hobbies. They even have war-gaming mixed in with the Magic Cards, card games, Warhammer, Warmachine, Star Wars, and roleplaying games, and some of our old favorites were on the shelves as well. This truly is a special place, and we will be coming back.

They have a magnificent collection of Pathfinder books across one entire wall. I wished D&D 5 had this type of collection, but at this point I am feeling something is slightly wrong with D&D 5 and expansion books. I don't see many books that are purely expansion splat-books, and it feels like this version is heavy on the modules and light on the options. I don't want D&D 4 levels of splat-books and fixes to splat-books, just something beyond the basics.



The Inner Sea Races book is what struck me on this visit, and I had heard it had some not so great reviews. Picking it up, I was struck by the color and detail of the races in this book, the variety, and the background and "placement" of the races in the game world. It really made Golarion come alive, and I wish I had this book when I started playing as it would have given me a lot to work with. I love fantasy races, and I love the conflict and culture they bring to a world.

This book is a must get, and it raises the default Pathfinder setting up a couple of notches above Wizards settings in my opinion. Why? Epic feel. I love the epic feeling this book gives the world, it takes a simple world and elevates it to a World of Warcraft level of races and world shakers. I get this feeling the world is filled with a great variety of incredible and different races, more-so than just the basic Player's Guide gives us, but a real feeling of a deeper "something more" there to the world.

Books like this pull me back into the world and keep me imagining things there.

And stores like this keep me coming back for more as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment