Sunday, June 25, 2023

Pathfinder 2: Stepping Back

This is a better game than 5E, just because it clarifies everything. The number of rules needed to run a tactical wargame like this approaches the old Advanced Squad Leader, so the game is 600+ pages to cover every topic and contingency.

In 5E, you are told to "wing it," leading to a network of unwritten rules where there is a "Reddit ruling" you need to look up to play the game and have a consistent, community-approved way of handling a situation or combination that breaks the game.

Pathfinder 2? It is all in the book.

This is why people see the game as more complicated yet say it is easier to run.

In 5E, you are referencing several spells to define a term like "sunlight." Some spells say they make daylight but not sunlight. There are no official rules for sunlight and what it does and counts as; they are hidden in spell and monster descriptions.

You figure it out.

Pathfinder 2 will have a tag on the spell to tell you what it does. Sometimes it will have a few. Look up the rules for the tag, and you are 100% playing the game by the rules without having to Google D&D rulings (that may need to be updated).

I understand; you play enough 5E (or Pathfinder 1e), and Pathfinder 2e looks like a genius-level clarification and simplification. I suspect most 5E players only loosely follow if you play by the rules.

But I don't have time and would instead stick to rules-light games. 5E can be played "rules light," but you will ignore most of the rules. For 5E, I am sticking to the "Kobold-Verse" with their edition of K5E, Tales of the Valiant. ToV is 5E from now on, and it is a company I can support and believe is a good steward of the game and its community.

The Kobold-Verse is my 5E, just like the Paizo-Verse was my 3.5E. I am done with Wizards, which insulates me against game-breaking changes in the rules. I can use the 3rd-party 5E books I didn't sell with K5E and not worry about the game-changing.

But I hope Kobold Press cleans up 5E instead of leaving it as-is in its messy state, or else I am revisiting the original PF 2e. That would be a deal-breaker. 5E could be better, and I hope a new company can clean up the rules and make them easier to play. With Wizards, too much is "left up to you" - so much the game becomes broken and unplayable in some situations.

A lot in ToV will likely be worked out in the playtest, so if you want the game to be cleaned up, join the playtest and give your feedback.

I know, coming from an OSR guy, that sounds funny. But with games like 5E, where builds and strategies matter, balance and combos rely on precise rules and clean presentation - which is where Pathfinder 2 shines. As for Pathfinder 2e? I am taking a break until the revisions but will miss the SRD content. They may come up with something cool, but I am waiting to see what happens next. If I play PF 2e, it will be with the books I have.

I don't want to make a huge commitment without seeing the revised edition.

Right now, lovely collection, but wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment