Saturday, May 6, 2023

Previous Editions to the Rescue!

I see a few D&D YouTube channels doing this, and I get why they are doing this. They are pushing going back to previous editions as some sort of "fix" for the revisions to D&D 5, some pushing 4E, others 3.5, some 2, and quite a few hyping AD&D.

And you can be sure when the new D&D 5.5 rulebooks are out, those channels will be all over that and telling you to switch to the new edition; come on!

I am not buying any of it.

Sorry, D&D is dead to me, and there are too many other incredible games worth my time than current, in-patch, or previous editions of the world's most popular fantasy game I used to play. If I want an easy retro game compatible with everything, I got Castles & Crusades. If I want Gonzo 3.5-eqsue, I got Dungeon Crawl Classics. Most anything OSR is better, even the 5E clones. Swords & Wizardry will base their next game on the Creative Commons SRD Core, which is 100% like earlier editions - sans drama. There are plenty of better games than previous editions (that play just like them), and I feel some channels need to "keep you in the D&D mindset."

If you switch to having a game with a tremendous and sizable community, go to Pathfinder 2 (revised 2.5).

If I want a modern, structurally sound, and more enjoyable universal d20 game than 5E, I got Cypher System.

I can invest in all those games, support communities, and be sure my purchases stand the test of time.

I don't have the time to waste playing editions I have already played and being in the "What did Wizards do this week?" YouTube clickbait circus. When I stopped watching those "whoopsie Wizards" videos and put my 5E books away (and sold them), I was a lot happier and could focus on games I could invest time and positive energy into.

When Wizards can stop making mistakes for a year straight, I would possibly consider them an option. But as it goes, it is always "0 weeks without a community screw-up" with them this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment