Sunday, April 9, 2023

The Post-D&D Era

Admittedly, giving up on the game is tough since I grew up with D&D. With every controversy and the repeated damage they are doing to the community with dumb statements that sound like fresh-out-of-college fools, I don't just choose to give up on them - I need to. I can't pick up the game, look at the Forgotten Realms, play a classic module, watch a D&D movie, read the novels, or do anything else in this hobby without being reminded of their reprehensible statements and behavior.

I check social media each day and expect the next dumb thing to come out of their mouths and see innocent people defend them because they care more about the community they built, and they want to close their eyes to keep it alive. It is understandable, but the company is putting people in a challenging position to defend the indefensible to maintain their social circles.

I don't know what this is. Perhaps "brand appearance" on social media is more important than the game itself. They anger people, deliver a lower-quality product, and think saying popular things on social media will get people to play. News flash, upsetting parts of your customer base, labeling certain characters (and people who choose them) as "inherently this or that," and forcing people to pick sides is toxic behavior.

So I avoid the hobby and fantasy genre, which is unacceptable.

Does that unfairly paint the original material as somehow related to the current owners? Yes, it does, and I throw no shade at anyone who still loves the classics - game on. This is like learning something terrible about a famous actor and going back and watching his earlier beloved work - I get that same feeling.

The hurt is there, and I need to divorce myself from it entirely to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment